Saturday, March 10, 2007

Spring has Sprung


One thing that will become evident, especially as fall approaches, is my affinity for college football. It is, with one notable exception, the greatest activity ever conceived.

My favorite team plays up the road, at Folsom Field. I have been a fan of Colorado Football since I was a youngster. I can remember watching CU play Air Force in the late 60's, back when Bobby Anderson was working his magic for the Buffs.

When I was a student at CU, I had a buddy who worked in the athletic department. At that time, all of the football players lived in Brackett Hall, which is located across the street from the engineering building. My friend was also living in Brackett Hall, and one cold winter morning I had some time between classes, so I thought I'd stop in and say hello.

Brackett Hall is a long narrow 2 or 3 story building with a corridor down the middle of each floor, and rooms on either side of the corridor. The bathrooms are located near the center of each floor.


In those years the starting center for CU was an All-American named Leon White, who was 6'-3", 275 lbs, making him an inch taller and about 70 lbs heaver than me.

Anyway, as I entered Brackett, Leon came in the door at the other end of the building. Maybe, just maybe, with my down coat and hiking boots, I looked big enough to be a football player, especially at the other end of a long, narrow hallway.

Suddenly, Leon began growling, "wind-milling" his arms, and getting himself worked up into an advanced state of agitation. I think he initially though I was one of his football buddies, and he was messing with me. As we got closer to each other, Leon became even more annoyed, and I began to question my continued existence on the planet. I was not smart enough to turn around and leave the building, though it is doubtful that I could have outrun an All-American football player.

As we got to within about 30 feet of each other, an uncomfortably close distance in my opinion, Leon realized that I was not who he thought I was, and ducked into the bathroom. I burst into my friends room, locked the door and began piling furniture against it, and begged him to not, under any circumstance, open the door if someone knocks.

Mr White played in the NFL, and later became the professional wrestler Van Vader.

I survived my encounter with Leon White and became a full-time dork.

Anyway...

The Buffs are coming off of a terrible 2006 season, (2-10 overall, 2-6 in the conference), but hope springs eternal.

Spring practice begins on Monday.

Go Buffs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Rogue here, asking what the "notable exception" is. I asked if it was eating pizza, as the Mr. must have a pizza fix several times a week. He claims that ain't it.
It is true that this guy o' mine LOVES football, esp. college football. Perhaps, one should ask him about a time, many years ago, when football was more important than ANYTHING ELSE!! Perhaps I should take Mr. Rogue's advice and write my own blog...?

Corey Reynolds said...

We'll see.

Get this, as a full-time research faculty member at the university, I don't get any ticket benefits -- have to pay the same as alum and everyone else. Seems silly at a university that pays its faculty the least of any Big 12 school, and one that is constantly working on building community and school spirit to hang on to this underpaid faculty. How hard would it be to have one or two CU faculty and staff games where we could get half-price tickets?

Anonymous said...

College football is fine and yes, my fav would also be the Buffs, but nothin' (with one notable exception, if memory serves!) beats cheering in DU's Magness Arena with your mittens and ear muffs on when the Pioneers are skating against CC!!

Say hello to Mrs. Rogue for me!!

Just got back from your fair city about an hour ago delivering my little woman back to campus after spring break! Ahh, an empty nest again for one week until the other little woman comes home for her spring break!