Saturday, April 21, 2007

Spring


I’m in excellent shape for a guy who drives a desk for a living – that is if you consider round a shape…

Like a lot of people (well, maybe not a lot of people, I’m just saying that to make myself feel better), I put on a few pounds over the winter. It might’ve had something to do with being ass-deep in snow for two months. Actually that sounds more like an excuse than a reason.

Anyway, I had my bicycle tuned up a couple of weeks ago and have been riding it some. I even put a speedometer/odometer thingy on it. I’m not really sure why, I guess I want to see how fast I’m not going. I’m also getting very good at riding with a 50-lb. oxygen tank strapped to my back. I don’t go very fast, (except down hills) but I never run out of breath…

Another critter at Casa Del Rogue that is in need of some exercise is our 85 lb. Golden Retriever, Marci. She is a rambunctious, joyful creature that has stolen my heart (please don’t tell Mrs. R).

Marci has an arsenal of toys in the backyard, and that’s where we often go to play. She likes to play fetch with her yellow football, and tug-of-war with this green rope and tire contraption.

She also has another toy that consists of an 18-inch long piece of rope with knots at each end. Between the knots is a piece of hard red rubber, about 4-inches long. This piece of rubber has some groves in it and can slide along the rope, between the knots.

Marci will fetch this toy and pick it up in her mouth, usually at one end of the rope. As she comes trotting back to me she will begin to shake her head, causing the rubber piece to slide to the other end of the rope. We’re not really sure why she does this; it may be an instinct from when Goldens’ were used as hunting dogs.

Anyway, as she gets more excited, the shaking gets faster, and the piece of rubber will smack against the ground, or her shoulder, or both. It’s quite remarkable to watch, but you don’t want to stand too close for fear of being clobbered.

We have been teaching Marci to drop things she has in her mouth by using the command “drop it!” It works about 50 percent of the time…

The other night, after I came from work, Marci and I were out in the backyard playing. She fetched her red rubber toy and came running back, excitedly shaking her head. The rubber end was flying about.

I commanded her to “drop it!”

In all of the excitement, Marci must’ve heard “drop him” because with one shake of her head, the rubber end came around and caught me, well, in that place that makes grown men cry.

I fell to the ground in the fetal position, clutching my “nether region.”

Marci came over to investigate, licked me on the ear, and went about her business.

I came inside, iced down the injured area, and spoke as a soprano for a couple of hours…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Rogue, here,

Yes, Mr. Rogue's dog is indeed, rambunctious, and full of love--for Mr. Rogue. When I go for walks with him and Marci, it is clear that I am not welcome--this is her time with Daddy! Yesterday, I commented that one of us must be "alpha_itch", and it is obviously not me.
One more comment: Mr. Rogue says we were "ass-deep in snow for 2 months"; I was far more than "ass-deep" . I was unable to see over the snowbanks without standing on a stool!
By the way, it took more than a couple of hours before Mr. Rogue's falsetto dwindled...